I have been having a problem with clustered sessions in Tomcat 5.5.7. I
am using the pooled replication mode, but I have also tried asynchronous
mode. Right now there is one machine, the other machine is down. I would
have assumed that machine one would have seen that machine two is down
and not bothered to try to replicate the session, but it appears as if
it is trying to communicate anyway...

 org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getSession(boolean)
    org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getSession(boolean)
     org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.doGetSession(boolean)
      org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.createSession()

org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.createSession(boolean)

org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.getNewDeltaSession()

org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster.send(ClusterMessage)

org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster.send(ClusterMessage,
Member)
          java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(Object)

org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter.sendMessage(Strin
g, byte[])

org.apache.catalina.cluster.io.XByteBuffer.createDataPackage(byte[])

org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter.sendMessageData(S
tring, byte[], IDataSender)

org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.PooledSocketSender.sendMessage(String,
byte[])

org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SocketSender.sendMessage(String, byte[])

              org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SocketSender.connect()
               java.net.Socket.<init>(InetAddress, int)

...it looks like the ReplicationTransmitter is trying to send a message,
which hangs until the socket times out. Where can I set the timeout for
this? 20 seconds seems long, 2 seconds would probably be more
appropriate. I enabled DEBUG messages for the cluster component, but
this is all I get in the logs...

[2005-06-21 13:53:38,281 DEBUG]
[org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager] Manager (/xyz) send
new session (6359D20C5E68DE71BB557443724A0218)
[2005-06-21 13:53:59,406 DEBUG]
[org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager] Created a
DeltaSession with Id[6359D20C5E68DE71BB557443724A0218] Total count=1

...no other information about why an attempt is made to create the
socket and why it takes so long to timeout. I've sort of solved the
problem by disabling clustering, but I would like to get it working at
some point. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bernard Durfee