Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
Yep, I had a coworker suggest using the OCI driver as well...

And you have to use the right JDBC driver as well.

At least up to the 9.* timeframe, Oracle used to release two JDBC drivers: one was a thin-only driver with its "JDBC" distribution, and one was the full "thick" driver, both of which were approximately the same size, and both called ojdbc14.jar. (Just to confuse things). But the thin-only driver could not use the OCI library.

I'm not sure if the situation has changed in 10.*. I do know that the JDBC driver in the Oracle InstantClient distribution is a full thick-and-thin driver, and comes bundled with the OCI libraries to boot..