On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 09:08 +0200, Michael Echerer wrote:

> >>    There is no meaning in saying that one can plug in required
> >>services to Tomcat. My question is by design is it an application
> >>server ?. My opinion is that Tomcat in the shipped form is not an
> >>application server. At the minimum it should provide transaction and
> >>persistence services, method level security is also preferred.
> >>    One can add all the above mentioned features to any servlet engine
> >>by deploying JAR files of the required services(JNDI,JTA,persistence
> >>and even EJB). So any servlet engine becomes an application server. Am
> >>I right ?
> >

> > I think you are getting your terms mixed up... Your arguments could be
> > used in regards to a full J2EE container, which Tomcat isn't on it's
> > own but an application server just needs to serve applications and
> > Tomcat certainly does that.
> >

> Agree. Tomcat is an application server, e.g. JBoss aswell, but JBoss is
> a J2EE 1.x compliant application server as all parts of the spec are
> implemented, Tomcat is not as only parts are covered.

JBoss as shipped, is installed as a set of services inside
(specifically) the Tomcat application server.  You have made our point
that Tomcat is an application server, since JBoss does not serve
applications without Tomcat or some other application server around it.
The parts that are specifically "JBoss" can (in theory) be installed any
J2EE compliant application server.

Tomcat is the minimum _reference_ implementation of J2EE application
server.  Apart from actual bugs, Tomcat _defines_ the minimum
requirements for a J2EE compliant application server.