I've come up with the only solution I can see that will work. The parent
appends it's session id as now, and the target JSP (inside the XML call) uses
JSTL sql tags to retrieve information using the parent session id as a key into
that "state" table.

It works and I don't see a way for me to mess with headers with my method.

Cheers, Allistair.