We have a custom (non-generated) web.xml, with some taglibs and servlets defined in there.

Precompilation is tomcat dependend I suppose?

Our application has to run on JBoss, Tomcat and Resin.
Weblogic and others might be added in the future.

I was hoping there was a simple way in the web deployment descriptor to load them all on startup, in a webserver independed way.

Bernhard Slominski wrote:
I don't want to precompile in my build script,

With the precompilation you can do the stuff you need, it automatically
creates the servlet mapping in the web.xml.
The only thing you have to add is the <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
part, but I think you can automate this as well.

So why don't you want precompilation?

Bernhard