It may not be the best solution because you may have a special attachment to Java 1.4 but since you are running Solaris you can install JDK 1.5 anywhere (even /export/home) without it colliding with the overall SO Java installation.

So why not use JDK 1.5, set your JAVA_HOME to your new Java directory and enjoy the weekend?

I have Tomcat 5.5.4 running with JDK 1.5.02 on Solaris 9 and it worked basically "out of the box" doing nothing more than setting JAVA_HOME & CATALINA_HOME =)

---
Luis

dsimmons wrote:

I have been googling the archives and anyplace else I can think of for
my particular problem, for about three days, without success.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect a simple path problem or a missing component, but honestly
I've been through about a half-dozen "install/troubleshoot tomcat"
checklists without finding it.

I have placed as much diagnostic information as I could think of at:
http://www.lib.siu.edu/dsimmons

Thanks,
Doug Simmons
SIUC