Hi - I've heard nothing but bad things about the Microsoft JDBC driver for
SQL Server. I don't have any suggestions how to fix your problem in-place,
just a suggestion to switch drivers.

I've been using this JTDS open souce JDBC driver, suggested by our vendor
and it is very stable:

http://jtds.sourceforge.net/

It was super easy to install and configure.  I hope it will help you!

Regards,
MitchellT