Hi Bruce,

On 25 Jul 2005 at 18:39, Bruce E. Stemplewski wrote:

> Where does this get installed?  Remember, I am a total newbie at this.
>
> And do I even need this?  The error says:
>
> "This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0
> or later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and
> installing a compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat
> binary download page."
>
> But my Tomcat JVM setting is at:
>
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\client\jvm.dll
>
> Isn't 1.5.0   J2SE 5.0?

Basically yes, though there's a difference between the JRE and J2SE - the
latter includes a compiler, though I seem to recall that recent versions of
Tomcat are no longer dependant on having access to the Java compiler.

I suspect you may have a path problem here.

A trap for the unwary Windows player is that, as far as I am aware, Tomcat
(and Java) struggle with Windows' standard approach to paths with spaces
in them.  What I mean by that is that Windows mostly copes happily with
paths with spaces in them, whereas programs like Java require such paths
to be inside quotes.

IIRC, by default, the tomcat installer puts at least one space in the path
(....
Tomcat 5.5 - between Tomcat and 5 - there will be at least one more if you
put it in the C:\Program Files\ directory), but doesn't put any quotes around
that path in program settings and shortcuts, so installation using the default
settings on Windows simply doesn't work.  Note, this problem may have
been fixed in recent versions - I now habitually ensure I have no spaces in
the tomcat (or JVM) path when I install it.  If you have any spaces in the
path, I suggest you:

1.      Uninstall Tomcat and the JVM/JRE
2.      Reinstall being sure to choose paths for Tomcat and the JRE that
have no spaces in them - be sure to remove the space in the path the
installer offers for Tomcat ("Tomcat 5.5") - it's not always obvious.

HTH,

Rob Hills
www.netpaver.com.au
West Perth, Western Australia