For some reason during startup tomcat writes (!) the file
tomcat-users.xml. It does it in the way that it writes to
tomcat-users.xml.new and then renames that file to tomcat-users.xml. At
least that's what was in the 5.0 code. I assume that didn't change with
5.5.

As a consequence the user running tomcat needs write access to the
directory the tomcat-users.xml file is in. If you don't like the idea of
giving that runtime user write access to the conf directory, you can
configure tomcat-users.xml inside server.xml to be in some other directory
- which then is the one that needs write access. As far as I know, there
is no workaround for that at the moment (except for choosing another user
realm).