I am definitely having an issue getting "allowlinking=true" to work in
a Tomcat 5.0.28, JDK 1.4 on AIX 5.2 install.

I have tried multiple scenarios using the following <Host> tag:

<Host name="host" debug="0" appBase="/sys_apps_01/tomcat/test"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" allowlinking="true"
deployXML="true" />

I can bring up the app but a request to "/help", which is a symlink in
the war to a directory outside of the tomcat applications directory,
throws 404s.

I also tried this:

<Context allowLinking="true" path="infoview"
docbase="/sys_apps_01/tomcat/test/infoview" override="true" debug="9"
/>

I changed to <Host> appbase to go to a webapps which is empty so I
knew the context was definitely loading the unpacked war which
includes the symlink.  I still get a 404.

The ChangeNotes for the 5.0.28 version states explicitely:

 --------------------------- Symlinking static resources:

By default, Unix symlinks will not work when used in a web application
to link resources located outside the web application root directory.

This behavior is optional, and the "allowLinking" flag may be used to
disable the check.

Does anyone have symlinks working on 5.0.28?

--
Ben Ricker
He's just this guy, you know?