Hello,

We are finding outselves hosting more and more individual webapps, all running on Tomcat 5.5.9 w/ JDK 1.5. Each of these webapps is developed and deployed on a separate schedule, and the number and frequency of app deployments is increasing.

The frequency is so much that the uptime of all of our applications is affected as we continually take down Tomcat servers in production to deploy a new application (or new version of the application). Because hot deploy does not work (the old favorite OOM error w/ too many redeploys), we bounce the Tomcat server for every redeploy.

To avoid taking down all of our applications when we need to redeploy a single app, we've begun to deploy each application to their own Tomcat instance. All of these instances are fronted by a single Apache server handling vhosts, logging, etc.

We're just curious how common this setup really is. We know we are in an uncommon position, with so many webapps (approaching 20, and growing very fast). We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak, so we've begun to split out individual tomcat instances.

Anyone else have to handle numerous webapps, with frequent deploys, and have to keep uptime for all apps as high as possible? We hesitate to put all webapps in one tomcat, because to deploy one app means we have to take down all of our apps. This is becoming unacceptable. (not to mention that a memory leak in one app will bring down all the apps living in that tomcat instance)

Any tips or tricks would be really appreciated. Or pointers to previous material (I've found some, but nothing that jumped out at me).

Thanks very much in advance,
Seth