My solution for this is not elegant. I run 8 apps on one instance of Tomcat and it will be growing to 12 soon. All of those apps are set with autoReload set to true. When I need to update something I manually copy the individual class or JSP file to the proper folder to over write the existing ones. So I never need to take Tomcat down unless I update a library in commons/lib which is almost never. I also when in a hurry use the deployer to restart individual web apps so they do not all go down.

This works to a point but has the obvious pitfalls. First Tomcat is wasting processing time constantly checking to see if it should reload any of the modules. And second if I update a class file or JSP page that depends on another updated class or JSP file I forgot to copy over then that app will throw exceptions like crazy. It also means I have to manually set the config files like the context.xml files which is very error pron.

Any one else have other ideas?

-----Original Message-----
From: Seth Ladd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 3:12 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Advice for Hosting Many Individual Webapps?

Hello,

We are finding outselves hosting more and more individual webapps, all running on Tomcat 5.5.9 w/ JDK 1.5. Each of these webapps is developed and deployed on a separate schedule, and the number and frequency of app deployments is increasing.

The frequency is so much that the uptime of all of our applications is affected as we continually take down Tomcat servers in production to deploy a new application (or new version of the application). Because hot deploy does not work (the old favorite OOM error w/ too many redeploys), we bounce the Tomcat server for every redeploy.

To avoid taking down all of our applications when we need to redeploy a single app, we've begun to deploy each application to their own Tomcat instance. All of these instances are fronted by a single Apache server handling vhosts, logging, etc.

We're just curious how common this setup really is. We know we are in an uncommon position, with so many webapps (approaching 20, and growing very fast). We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak, so we've begun to split out individual tomcat instances.

Anyone else have to handle numerous webapps, with frequent deploys, and have to keep uptime for all apps as high as possible? We hesitate to put all webapps in one tomcat, because to deploy one app means we have to take down all of our apps. This is becoming unacceptable. (not to mention that a memory leak in one app will bring down all the apps living in that tomcat instance)

Any tips or tricks would be really appreciated. Or pointers to previous material (I've found some, but nothing that jumped out at me).

Thanks very much in advance,
Seth

Brian Cook
Digital Services Analyst