I think I missed something here. Are you not still bouncing Tomcat here? If so isnt the service still going down? What is the benifit of changign the ports around? I have a feeling I missed something in the expliation.

George Sexton wrote:
The technique I use is this:

Run the HTTP connector on port 8080.

Forward port 80 to port 8080.

To re-start the system:

edit the server.xml and run the HTTP connector on port 7080
Change the shutdown port to 8006

Start tomcat, and wait till it comes up.

Re-run the firewall script to forward port 80 to port 7080.

Stop the instance running on port 7080.

The downside is that any active sessions get bounced and have to re-login.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585