Sorry still not following. If Tomcat is being restarted how do you not have start up time? Is it that you have two instances of Tocmat and you are having the firewall just point to one instance while you bounce the second?

If so is there an advantage to doing that over clustering?

George L. Sexton wrote:
The net effect is that users have to re-login, but there is no down time. They get bounced, but can immediately log back in.

Right now, startup time for my hosted machine is running in the area of 5 minutes. So, I'm eliminating a 5 minute startup cycle.

I'm running 60 virtual hosts on one machine (P3 600). I'll be moving to a P4 3.0GHz this weekend, but I hope to get up to 200 virtual hosts per machine.

Any way you cut it, startup time is a killer.