To re-start tomcat, I start a second instance running on a different port and
after the second instance is running, change the port forwarding to activate
it.

> If so is there an advantage to doing that over clustering?

It's a simple configuration that only requires one machine.

As nice as clustering sounds, it's not as useful as people think. Two areas
where clustering won't work:

Application upgrade that requires database structure change.

Application upgrade that mades the serialized version of the properties
incompatible from one version to the next.

Another problem for me with clustering is that it seems to require an external
director that would balance the requests across the host. If this is mod_jk
and Apache, that's pretty ungainly if you are running a hosting operation
with 200 virtual hosts.

If it's an external load balance, that's a third piece of hardware.