Nishant Deshpande wrote:
The SessionListener can check if the attribute implements
Serializable, not if it actually is serializable.

i.e. Nothing to stop people from storing objects which implement
serializable but will barf when actually are serialized.

That is not exactly true.
Look at my example. It tries to write the attribute into a "dummy" ObjectOutputstream. If the attribute is not serializable (at that moment) an exception will be thrown. This does not save you, of course, from situation where someone puts an empty HashMap via setAttribute and later puts a not serializable Object into the map. But doing this (changing an session attribute after the setAttribute call) isn't recommended anyway, since AFAIK Tomcats session replication works this way that session are only updated on the remote nodes if a setAttribute was called.

But another question: you are talking about "people" putting objects into the session. Isn't it you - i.e. your webapplication - who is putting session attributes? You should have enough control over your own application to ensure that your session attributes are serializable, shouldn't you?

So - I want to catch each time there is a serialization exception and
log it etc etc.. and even perhaps just drop that object and continue
rather than just drop the serialization for the whole session (this is
what appears to be current behaviour)

Yes, this is apparently the current behaviour. I'm not sure if I like it, too. I guess it is implemented this way, because if one session isn't serializable the probability is very high that other sessions are not serializable, either. So if you want to change this behaviour, you will probably have to implement your own PersistanceManager.