Franklin Phan wrote:
In RUNNING.txt, a paragraph says:

"In many circumstances, it is desirable to have a single copy of a Tomcat 4
binary distribution shared among multiple users on the same server. To make
this possible, you must configure a CATALINA_BASE environment variable (in
addition to CATALINA_HOME as described above) that points to a directory
that is unique to your instance."

I'm not understanding this. I've been thinking about having multiple installs of Tomcat 4 on the same server. I'm now wondering whether what RUNNING.txt suggests can take the place of having multiple installs. But I'm not understanding how just setting a CATALINA_BASE env var can achieve this. I can only set one CATALINA_BASE env var, right? What if there are four ...um...not instances, but...users who each want their own Tomcat to work with? How is it possible to have four CATALINA_BASE environment variables?

You need to read the rest of the text below the paragraph you quoted. In summary,

There is one CATALINA_HOME which all users use for the the following directories:
/bin
/common
/server

Each user sets their own CATALINA_BASE that points to their own copy of the following directories:
/conf
/logs
/shared
/webapps