From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 7:03 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Problem with file upload corruption.

We have a JSP/servlet combo that uses the OReilly MultiPartRequest to
upload a users HTML template for our application. Invariably they end up
with some unusual characters in their template - sometimes from pasting
in text from MS Word or other similar application.

For some reason a single character (e.g. x092 a "right single quotation
mark") is turned into multiple special characters after it is uploaded.
When we download it  we use
  response.setContentType("application/octet-stream");
and the mangled file downloads "fine" (i.e. without change)>

Here is an example - the right single quotation marka backward single
quote comes right after the paragraph tag (<p>).

BEFORE upload

AFTER upload

I have read the file upload RFC 1867 until I'm blue in the face, and
Googled on and off the servlet.com site. There were reported binary
upload problems using the warp connector to connect Tomcat 4.0 and
Apache. But we are using Tomcat 4.1.18.

Any ideas or suggestion are appreciated.

Thank you - Richard