http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2396.html section 3.3 seems to be the best reference so far.

This RFC only specifies correct URI syntax, it does not mandate how that URI is used under any scheme (like "http:") is to be used.

Darryl L. Miles wrote:

The reference you cite http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html (el al) maybe you could also cite the section I should look at. A simple search for "param" or "semi" yeilds no related results. I have spent an hour looking into the issue over the weekend and found the specification that covers the URI scheme for "http:" from this angle it seems to leave the part after the ? to denote the start of a query string vague. Which lead me to a presumption that it was HTTP server dependant on its interpretation, since for example the CGI.pm modules changed over from & to ; as the standard param delimiter with generated URLs, providing the resulting URL talks back to itself (the CGI.pm module) all will be well in the world but if it links to a TC server then there would appear to be a problem.

--
Darryl L. Miles