If you do a search in google for gnu tar untar tomcat you will get many hits indicating gnu tar is needed to untar tomcat on Solaris. I myself have to do this all the time in my Sun box or I get exact errors indicated below.

Ron Price wrote:

Try running this command:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] local]# md5sum jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.tar.gz
35ea177af353446af1de3c762a4f0f4d jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.tar.gz
^
|-------you should get this big string here, if it doesn't match then it was
corrupted in the download if your number matches mine you have something
else going on...

;-)