I have received partial success. Windows has a bad habit to do things by
default or to do things whcihc make no sense.
The problem was due to inherritance/ permissions for Windows folder.
Unsetting the read-only thing does not work, becasuse windows changes it to
read-only by default. The only way one can work around is to change the
"folder options for XP", in view you have an option to change the security
configuration. This will provide you with more granular (user based
permissions for folders/files) access. Now you can change options you like.
In unix "chown" and "chmod" would have solved the problems.

Thanks for help!!

Lalit