Ingrid,

I am not on the tomcat developer committer list so my reply is just an FYI
from my own experience.

I saw unstable performance myself in a very similar deployment of Struts
applications similar to yours.  I too thought there was a memory leak and
there may be, but I don't think it is in the applications themselves.  The
behavior I saw, led me to think it was related to socket allocation as after
a period of time my system began to complain and slow down and other socket
related programs began to complain about timeouts, etc.

I found that my tomcat needed to use virtual memory to avoid out of memory
exceptions.  I added physical memory and the problems all but went away,
however it still occurs just less frequently.

I am using

j2sdk1.4.2_09
Tomcat-5.0.28

On Windows XP Pro sp1

Michael Oliver
CTO
Alarius Systems LLC
6800 E. Lake Mead Blvd, #1096
Las Vegas, NV 89156
Phone:(702)643-7425
Fax:(702)974-0341
*Note new email changed from [EMAIL PROTECTED]