Glad I was able to help a little bit.

In my experience (Linux,Solaris,Win/2K), 8080 should
always work if you have the Connector configured.  If
you can't get to http://localhost:8080/jsp-examples/
running, then there is something else amiss.

In your httpd.conf file, I still didn't see something
like the following:

JkShmFile /var/log/memory.shm

This wasn't necessary in 1.2.6 and may not be
necessary in 1.2.14, but according to the
documentation it's used on UNIX platforms.

In workers.properties lbfactor is used to set the
relative weight of a worker when you're doing load
balancing.  Since you're not doing load balancing,
letting it default to 1 should be fine.

You have two JkMounts for docstore.  I'm thinking that
only:

JkMount /docstore/* worker1

is necessary.

If the entire web application (including static files)
lives in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, then the Apache
process will need access to those directories and
files.

Finally, a long time ago the order of startup was
important.  I think it was Tomcat first, then Apache.
It's been a while, and right now I'm on the Windows
side of this machine so I can't check.  The order of
startup issue went away with Apache 2.0.x, but it may
still be an issue with your environment (Apache
1.3.x).

I would be interested in seeing your error logs from
mod_jk as well as seeing what catalina.out has in it
when you try to get to a web application via port
8080.

Hope this gives you some avenues to explore.

/mde/