Hi, all,

In my application, a session attribute is needed to
let the application function properly. So, I have a
filter to verify whether this attribute is set or not
in the session.

The doFilter method of the filter is something like
the following:

        public void doFilter(ServletRequest request,
ServletResponse response,
                        FilterChain chain) throws IOException,
ServletException {

                HttpServletRequest hreq = (HttpServletRequest)
request;
                logger.debug("Enter: " + hreq.getRequestURL());
                if (request instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
                        logger.debug("instanceof");
                        HttpSession session = hreq.getSession(false);
                        // Check the session setting
                        if (session != null) {
                                logger.debug("session");
                                if (session.getAttribute("myAttr") != null) {
                                        logger.debug("Attr set");
                                        // jump to the resource if it is set
                                        chain.doFilter(request, response);
                                        return;
                                }
                        }
                }

        // ....

filterConfig.getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher(
                                                "/" +
the_page).forward(request, response);
                                return;

        }
}

After having an additonal segment of the application
up, I find the the getSession(false) returns null for
the requests of the first segment of application. When
I click the first segment of the application, I am
forwarded to the "the_page", while I reach the right
page on the second segment. There is not any
architecture difference between these two segments.

I use the Spring framework by the way. I don't think
the framework has anything to do with the session
management.

What is the cause?

Thanks very much for all your inputs in advance.

Vernon