Hi Marcus,
>> idle connections running for hours and hours
  That was our problem as well, with those idle connections just sitting
there, as I said, I wasn't sure if my solution was the correct one..  Just
telling you, it seemed to work for us.  I would say give it a try, the only
issue we have, is a large amount of log messages in catalina.out about the
timeouts.   For some reason I can't get the default java.util.logging to
catch them.

-Rick