Instead of rebuilding FOP, I wrote a simple test class
that attempts to instantiate 'Rectangle'.  It runs
successfully on one system and fails on the other
(the one with the NoClassDefFoundError):

$ java -Djava.awt.headless=true TestRectangle

Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_08/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so:
libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Sure enough, /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6 exists on one
box, but not the other.  Hopefully, it won't be too
much of an ordeal to get the missing piece(s)
installed.

- Bob

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/AWTChanges.html#headless