If you are using an applet (as in code that runs on the client
computer) then the class files of the driver must be downloadable by the
client.  The client can never see anything outside of your webapp directory.
Therefore, unjar the jar file into
C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\webapps\examples\jsp\student (this is why you
are getting 404 errors for a directory listing of /jsp/student/org/gjt/.