From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 8:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tomcat Performance..

Kief Morris wrote:

> It sounds like you tested Tomcat on an HP, and Tomcat on an x86 with
> Solaris 8, vs. iPlanet on an Ultra running Solaris 2.6. You are then
guessing
> that the difference in performance is entirely due to the servlet engine?
>
> Have you tried testing Tomcat vs. iPlanet on *identical* hardware/OS
> platforms?

  Well, alas I haven't been able to talk the iPlanet folks into building
iWS for me on Solaris x86 yet so I can't test it that way. In testing
just straight normal everyday static HTML serving between Apache and
iPlanet between the two platforms I get a more expected performance
difference. Where the iWS server can spit back something like 200
requests per second and the Apache server can spit back 170 requests per
second. That would be what I expect. I've got a couple of other projects
I've got to get done here today and then I was planning on building the
Apache/Tomcat setup over on the Ultra 60 to see if the performance
numbers are still skewed as much on the same platform.

--
Steve Brunton   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Phone: 404-827-2756
Chief Engineer Enterprise Systems    One CNN Center, Atlanta GA