On machines with more than one processor, the possibilty
that an implementation error with synchronized will
have impact, drastically grows. So this might be the reason
for this behaviour.

There are tools out there that can detect such problems:
(At least they promise to do so)
  http://www.numega.com/devcenter/jc.shtml (Commerzial)
  http://www.ispras.ru/~knizhnik/jlint/ReadMe.htm (Free)

<snip/>
> I have a java application running under this setup:
> Tomcat-3.2, IIS-5.0,SQL Server-7.0 with Windows 2000
> Professional on a Dual
> Processor Machine.
> The problem am encountering is High CPU utilization and
> non-release of CPU
> by the application.
> Any pointers to the cause of this problem.
<snip/>