At 10:54 AM 5/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>What does running with nohup do for you?
>
>I usually start Tomcat using tomcat.sh start and then just log out...

Me too. Nohup (no hangup) runs the command in an "ingnore
hangup" signal mode- not the same as a process fork. I think
the cmd runs as an orphaned process. If he runs it as "nohup
cmd &" that's pretty much what the tomcat startup script
does, minus the process env setup. Really he should use the
scripts. I'm guessing he's not using the "&" at the end of
the invocation, the os sees the process is orphaned after
a while, and kills it.