We've managed to solve the problem. When I tried to create the URL object, a
MalformedURLException was thrown complaining that https was an unknown
protocol, even though we had set all of the relevant properties.

The solution appeared to be to generate a key using keytool. Once that was
safely stored in the keystore the problems stopped. It was just a matter of
trawling documentation a little longer basically.

Cheers,
Steve

<snip>