On Wed, 30 May 2001, Brian Elliott wrote:

> "Silvestre Turija Jr." wrote:
> >
> > sorry for the intrusion, I am having the same problem
> > "Internal Servlet Error" kindly inform me I you got a
> > fixed on this bug.
>
> Based on another unrelated discussion on this list, I tried starting
> tomcat (embedded in jboss) first and then apache - and it fixed my
> problem (code 500 Internal Server Errors when requesting a serlvet right
> after startup). I have just tried it once so far but it would be
> interesting to see if this fixes the problem for other people as well.

I don't have any particular suggestions for this problem, but I just
want to point out that "Internal Server Error" is a very general
error, indicating that there is some problem with some component of
the server, and it could be one of a hundred or more things wrong.  So
specifying just that info and asking what's wrong is off-base.  You're
going to need to dig deeper and get some specifics about the problem,
and give some details about the configuration (because it is often due
to something related to the configuration).  There is typically no
magic bullet that will fix things when you have an "Internal Server
Error".  Looking at the relevant log files for more detailed error
messages is a good start.

BTW, similar is true for some other errors, like OutOfMemoryError.  In
that case, something simple like upping the initial/max heap size may
take care of the problem.  On the other hand, it could very well be
that the code is buggy and/or has a "memory leak"-type problem that is
causing the memory usage to continue to grow.  Resolving those errors
may also take some further investigation.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]