When Java first came to the Linux platform (via the Blackdown port),
green-threads were the only option. Native threads took a little longer to
implement, but are a much better option for the reasons listed in the
have a specific reason for using them.

A lot of people freak out when they see the number of "processes" being
reported by ps or top, without realizing that these are merely threads and
not full-blown processes. If you have a lightly loaded Tomcat, you can tune
down the number of threads being spawned by using the max_threads,
max_spare_threads, and min_spare_threads parameters of the PoolTCPConnector
in your server.xml file. For an example of this, take a look at the tomcat
user's guide:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/index.html

Do a "find" in your web browser for "max_threads". I use this to limit the
number of ajp12 threads and maximize ajp13 threads -- because I'm using
ajp13 for my servlets and ajp12 only for startup/shutdown of Tomcat.

Conversely, if you have a heavily loaded Tomcat, you should use these
parameters to increase performance.

Thanks,
--jeff