They left out a step.  Somewhere around step 5 you need to set the
environment variable JAVA_HOME (and I would suggest setting TOMCAT_HOME so
that the shell script doesn't have to guess).  You can do this at the same
place where they recommend setting the PATH with the following two commands:
setenv JAVA_HOME /usr/local/jdk1.1.8 [enter]
setenv TOMCAT_HOME /home/yourusername/servlets/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2 [enter]

And this should get you going.  Once you get this working correctly, I would
suggest contacting your hosting company and giving them the corrections.

        Randy