Check your error-page directive in the web.xml file for the web app.
It sounds like what is happening is that you are requesting the file and
when its not found, it requests the error page, which isn't found, which
requests the error page, which isn't found, etc.  I believe that this have
been fixed in the later 3.2 versions (you might try the recently released
3.2.2), but it is only caused by a configuration issue.

        Randy