I have been using xerces with 1.3.1 albeit on WinNT
and have no problems with it. You have to make sure in
your tomcat.properties, wrapper.properties and
tomcat.bat, you mention xerces.jar on the top where
ever you configure the library files

for example in tomcat.properties
wrapper.classpath=c:\tomcat\lib\xerces.jar;
wrapper.classpath=....

the xerces.jar needs to load up in the context first
and everything should work

Goodluck
Kris