With the info.. I could not think of any specific reasons which might stop you to set this up..

just try going through following tasks..

1. ref. to mod_jk how to manual which you have got along with tomcat, and set up your mod_jk with apache ( you have to mount mod_jk in apache like this (hey, are u doing your own mod_jk .dll file from source?if that is the case check your source for any possible error which can be induced in the source??)

"include  /jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/conf/mod_jk.conf-auto"
( I would recommend using conf-auto file, so that your tomcat will give all the details)

2.check your apache and tomcat. (just test run your example servlet via  apache)
If your example application works fine..

Go ahead and mount a alias directory and try calling jet speed.
in case you get some error, check them in apache log and tomcat log for error details, (I think that should help you solve the error)

let me know what is the error you are getting...So that I can try to get to the core issue.

Also note, if you are using winNT, check for environment variables setting too for tomcat_home, Apache_home and java_home settings, since in your tomcat configuration files, it picks up directory details calling this environment variables.

Note, check if your tools.jar file is accessible by your system(it should be in system path)

Hope this helps..
Cheers
Senthil Kumar.R