Hi,
  Following is taken from the readme for 3.2 and is probably
what the person was referring to

"6.11 Misconfiguration Can Cause CPU-Bound Loop

If you misconfigure Tomcat 3.2 in a way that there is no valid context to
handle a request (such as removing the root context and then attempting a
request that should be handled by that context), Tomcat will enter a CPU-bound
loop instead of responding with a 404 error.

Workaround:  kill the offending Tomcat process and correct your server.xml
file such that there is a properly configured root context."

Haven't checked whether this is still an issue for 3.2.3 but at least you
know now where this advice is coming from even if it doesn't help ;-)

andrew