Putting stuff in the $CATALINA_HOME\lib directory relies on stuff that is
not in the spec. Yet there is provision for that.

> Also, doesn't relying on this violate your first statement about "wouldn't
> ship a web app that relies on anything outside the war file"?

My original question was removed from your reply but if you go back a
re-read it, I said I wanted to do it in my current development environment.
We I release code to production it is in a self-contained war file.

Dave Holscher