You have to point a systmwide environment variable to your java installation
directory eg :
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java . While you are at it : some of the java software
require jdk_home to be set ;-). Don't point this to the bin directory btw..
just to the root of the installation directory

Hope this solves your problem.

Mvgr,
Martin