From: Amthauer, Heiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 2:18 AM
Subject: AW: Yet another newbie question

Hi there,

this is not a tomcat-problem. Your browser comes with Microsoft Java VM
which is not able to handle any stuff from the javax.swing package.
Furthermore it does not recognize that it should use the Java Plugin since
it is not enought just to install the plugin. You need to run the
htmlconverter on your html-file. It converts the <applet>-tag into something
like "<OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-..." which actually causes
IE5 to start the plugin. You can easily check this by enabling the
java-console in your plugin-control-panel. If I am right, the java-console
should pop up when showing the swing test applets from sun but it does not
pop up, when showing your own html-page (close your browser before loading
the pages, otherwise this effect doesn't work). In the latest plugin
versions, you can also verify that the plugin is loaded by the little java
guy showing up in your taskbar. You can retrieve the htmlconverter from
java.sun.com. Up to Java version 1.3.0_01 it is available, separatly. In
later versions, it is bundled togehter with the J2SDK. However, you can use
the htmlconverter for 1.3.0, which will work with any later versions of the
JRE and plugin, perfectly well. Hope this helps.

regards
Heiner