Take the XML related jars in TOMCAT_HOME/lib and rename them to
x[whatever].jar (for example, xjaxp.jar).  Then put Velocity's XML
parsers in TOMCAT_HOME/lib.

I know it's a kludge, but AFAICT, these sorts of classloader issues have
been corrected in 4.0.  (Which is all the Struts people can't understand
why their stuff suddenly DOESN'T work - all the Struts WAR's come
without any parser libraries.)