What you are trying to do isn't quite supported by Tomcat 3.2.x.
The name of the auto-generated config file is not configurable, so
the second Tomcat instance steps on the first's.  I would recommend
renaming the config file after starting each instance of Tomcat.
Whenever a context is added or removed, repeat this process.

Running multiple instances is better supported in Tomcat 3.3.
The auto-generated file is written by a module (a.k.a interceptor)
in the server.xml.  Parameters may be specified, which include
the name of the config file to write and where to write it.
Your two server.xml files could specify different file names
to avoid overwriting each other.

Cheers,
Larry

P.S. There are many other configuration enhancements besides
this one in Tomcat 3.3.