First off, I want to thank Craig for writing up those JNDIRealm
instructions. Those worked great. That's exactly the information that I was
looking for.

I have JNDIRealm working using both clear-text and digest passwords.
However, there are a few problems that need to be resolved before I will be
able to make use of it in our environment. The main reason why I want to use
it, is for single-sign on and there are some issues that are preventing me
from being able to do that.

1. It doesn't support binding as the user rather than as an admin user. If
it did support this, that would solve all the password encryption/format
related issues.

2. It doesn't check all userPassword attribute values (some directories may
have more than one value). It should compare each value for a match and if a
match is found, succeed, otherwise fail.

3. I'm not sure if this problem is specific to iPlanet Directory Server or
not, but, iPlanet prefixes encrypted passwords with the name of a
hash/encryption algorithm enclosed in {} followed by the base64 encoded
password. For example, the following is what the password "changeit" looks
like.

{SHA}BzE/DjIPIsv6Nc/CIFCOs/9FfH4=

However, the Tomcat digest application produces what appears to be a string
of hex values like the following.

b91cd1a54781790beaa2baf741fa6789

I think just compares these values (the text reprsentation and doesn't know
to strip off the leading {SHA}), so, it fails. As far as I know the binary
values should be the same because they are both using SHA.

4. It doesn't support SSL.

5. It doesn't support crypt encrypted passwords. crypt may not be the mose
secure, but, it's helpful from the stand point of supporting legacy systems.
Again, if it bound as the user rather than queried for and compared
attributes, this wouldn't be an issue. I don't know what kind of impact that
would have on performance, if any, but, it would IMHO be a lot more secure
and more generalized because you could then use whatever password encryption
in the directory that you wanted and not have to worry about it.

Jon