Is this on the default install of Cocoon2 (no edits, mods, etc, ...)??  If
so, I got it to run straight "out of the box" with out a problem.  I'm using
RC1 at the moment with TC4, Apache 1.3.19, and mod_webapp.so under Mandrake
8.  Presently in a development environment until I can learn enough about the
sitemap.xmap files to be dangerous, but still....

I've seen your error message before, but am having trouble remembering what
was done to fix it.  Try doing a search on Google for your exact error
message and see what you get.

On connecting Apache and Tomcat, you have two options -- mod_webapp.so and
mod_jk.so.  Mod_jk.so is the older implementation and very stable for
production use.  Should be easily findable on one the Jakarta website.
Mod_webapp.so is a very new package and I'm not really sure about it's
release status at the moment.  Pier Fumagalli is one of the major people
working on that project and I haven't seen much of any posts from him in a
while.  Last I knew there were one or two major bugs still in need of
resolution before 1.0 release.

Good luck!  --David Smith