I have been facing similar problems with tomacat3.2. I have an
application whose jsp and html are in in a context say "test".
These pages send requests to servlets with URL's like
/servlet/servletname (notice that it doesn't have a context name
preceding the URL /contextname/servlet/servletname).

The /servlet URL works fine when i use them directly in the location
bar of browser, however the below excpetion is reported for servlet
when request is sent from a context-sensitive jsp page. So does it
mean tomcat3.2 is strictly context-sensitive. The same setup runs
well in tomcat3.1. Also if the above servlet dispatches request to
any context-sensitive jsp, i get the below exception.

> 2001-10-04 02:45:40 - Ctx() : Exception in R(  + /index.jsp + null) -
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at java.io.Writer.write(Writer.java:129)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.modules.loggers.AccessLogInterceptor.beforeCommit(AccessLo
> gInterceptor.java:241)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:184)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:360)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.OutputBuffer.flush(OutputBuffer.java:315)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.OutputBuffer.close(OutputBuffer.java:305)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.Response.finish(Response.java:271)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Ajp13Response.finish(Ajp13Interceptor.java:
> 331)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:836)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Ajp13Interceptor.processConnection(Ajp13Int
> erceptor.java:193)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:477)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.jav
> a:517)
>

> What causes that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian
>
> Apache 1.3.6/Tomcat 3.3rc1/Windows 2000/jdk1.3.1

Byju P.Nair
Software Engineer,
Coas India,174,Road No. 72,
Prasashan Nagar,Jubilee Hills,