Sorry, I hadn't read your subsequent post.

Are you using a connection pool? If so what happens when you try to use
connections where you try to connect from each web app as a different user?

Also what do you see when you set a LogWriter for the DriverManager? It
should show you the drivers that it tries to load for each getConnection
request. That may help.