Hi,
  I assume you are running a web server in front of
tomcat in which case you need to tell your web
server to delegate handling of j_security_check to
tomcat. With apache you would add following to httpd.conf

JkMount /login/j_security_check ajp13 (or ajp12 depending on
connector protocol you are using)

Hope this helps
andrew