Here is how you do it -- It is detailed in the MS help docs

goto the win2k resource disk (or an old NT disk will do)
and find the 2 files  srvany.exe and instsrv.exe

create a no command batch to start tomcat. I.E if you use TC 3.2 make
"tomcat start" into a batch "tomcatstart"
(it doesn't like arguments)
now, at the commandline type

instsrv TOMCAT <path-to srvany.exe>

now you have to make some registry hacks.

goto  \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentControlSet\services
and find your TOMCAT key

in there add sub keys to the TOMCAT service

add
Parameters

in there add 2 string values and set their values to

AppDirectory <path to tomcat>
Application  <path to tomcat batch>

See http://home.stny.rr.com/cbongior/pics/tomcat.jpg (qulaity may not be so
good)

Now you can run tomcat like any other service. You still need to stop it the
old fashioned way though

Chris