----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

| Tom Drake wrote:
|
| > This has nothing to do with tomcat. It is standard unix behavior.
| > When a user logs out, all processes created by that user are killed.
|

| No, when a user logs out all processes that are children to that shell
instance
| are sent a HUP signal (Hang UP). A process may choose to ignore that
signal.
| Every well written daemon and server process SHOULD do that (among other
things).

Effectively the process is killed. I think we are saying the same thing.
As far as I know, there's no way to receive SIGHUP (or any other Unix
signal)
in your java code anyway.

| > Unix provides simple way to around this feature.
| > Simply type the following command:
| >
| >     nohup tomcat.sh run &
|

| I use "tomcat.sh start" instead of "tomcat.sh run" and so should Nancy.
The
| problem is in Tomcat getting HUP signal, but in loosing a console, I
think.

I think that run is actually more appropriate since it will not spawn the
jvm
in background. We are doing that ourselves with the '&' at the end of the
command above.